Loading...

History

History

In the words of our founders, "At Stevens Mortuary, we have had the privilege and honor over many years to serve the families who have entrusted us with their loved ones." To these families and those we will serve in the future, we pledge to continue to deserve your trust.

 

 


 

The funeral home opened in 1958 and, for the first three years, was located a few blocks from the current site.

This picture was taken in 1961 at the grand opening of the current location on Oglewood Avenue.

Bernice and Tom are standing in front of one of several antique pianos in the funeral home.

 


 

More than sixty years ago, Tom and Bernice Stevens had a vision of providing compassionate and quality service to families in their community… and Stevens Mortuary became a reality in 1958.  Until Mr. Stevens's death on May 14, 1978, they proudly served the community together, making many lasting friendships along the way.  At the time of his death, Mrs. Stevens assumed management of the business, determined to maintain it as a family-owned and family-operated entity.  Since Mrs. Stevens's death on August 4, 2018, her sister, Mary E. Cantwell, her daughter, Evelyn S. Grindstaff, Don Haynes, Bill Whedbee, and numerous funeral assistants and support staff continue to adhere to the highest standards of funeral service.

In 1958, the business was first located in a small house on Broadway and then moved in 1961 to the current location: a five-acre site with a vacant antebellum home called "Cedar Grove." Built in 1833 by Col. James Scott, Jr. for his wife, Eliza Jane Ramsey Scott, "Cedar Grove" has had an interesting history.

In addition to being the home of the Col. James Scott family, it has been the residence of several prominent Knoxvillians including the Ledgerwood and Ogle families. In the 1940's, Oglewood Baptist Church bought the site and held services there for several years. And in the 1860's, the building was used as a makeshift hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.



As visitors turn into the driveway at Stevens Mortuary, they might think they are approaching a beautiful plantation. The funeral home is nestled among fragrant, majestic, magnolia trees, flowering dogwoods, azaleas, roses and annuals. The setting, bordered by a creek, is beautiful and serene.

The family’s mission is to provide compassionate care to grieving families who need the support of experienced and knowledgeable staff.

We provide a range of services that are tailored to each family’s needs and financial means: full-service funerals and cremation, graveside services, veterans services, and a funeral prearrangement program designed to relieve loved ones of making some difficult decisions at a very emotional time.

 


 

THE VISION

Through their loving hands and hard work, Tom and Bernice Stevens transformed the dilapidated, vacant building and grounds into the elegant and stately landmark that it is today.



Entrance before Entrance after Building before Building after Chapel before Chapel after

 

Stevens Mortuary Inc. | (865) 524-0331
1304 Oglewood Avenue, Knoxville, TN


© Stevens Mortuary Inc.
Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants & TA